Image Map

Monday, July 8, 2013

Helping Students Organize and Technology

Technology can be so helpful in the classroom, but sometimes teachers are afraid to use it because it can sometimes take a lot of classroom management! I wanted to show you ways that I have helped my students and my classroom get organized when it comes to using technology. I teach 7th graders so some of these ideas are addressed for middle schoolers, but they can be easily adaptable to other grade levels as well!

Password Keeper

At the beginning of the year, my students create an Edmodo account for my classroom website, Manga High for math review, and we added a few more over the course of the year. After a couple of weeks, I was constantly being asked "what's my password?!" With both of these websites, I can not see the password, but I can reset it. It was so overwhelming and it wasn't benefiting the students. We use an Interactive Notebook (INB) for our classroom notes, so I created a Password Keeper for students to keep in their INB. This cut down the questions to NONE, and if they did ask I would remind them to go look in their INB. It was a lifesaver!I did not implement it in until October, but this year it will go in when we are initially creating them, and we will have a day in the lab where we set up these accounts and familiarize with the websites.

If you don't have a notebook where they could paste this in or you would rather keep them all, you could keep these on a ring, binder, or index card holder and keep them near your classroom computer. Below is the one I use with some of the websites/logins they will use and extra blank spaces for them to be able to add them later.

iPad Apps to Download Poster

This was one of my first creations, and I just recently updated it! My students AND parents asked what apps we used or I recommended, so I created this poster to hang in my classroom. It has over 50 icons of recommended apps for teachers and students, and the iPad has 20 places for the apps. I chose the corkboard background so that I could easily use a push pin to attach them to the bulletin board. This would be a great poster to hang in the classroom for Back to School night or an Open House! Here is a picture one of my students took of it in the classroom to post on my Edmodo sight and also one of the actual poster.



iPad Apps to Download

Bring Your Own Device (B.Y.O.D) Poster **FREEBIE**

I love doing app or internet based activities in the classroom! When I can't check out the iPad lab or its just a quick activity, I let the kids bring in their own device. This is extremely helpful when it is an app based activity. Unfortunately, not all apps are available on all of the app markets. I made a poster that hangs in my classroom and I will check off which phones or devices students can bring in, Apple, Android, Blackberry, or Regular Cellphone. This helps answer so many questions!



Bring Your Own Device - TPT


Hope these products help you organize and manage the use of technology in your classroom! What are some things that help you organize and manage technology in your classroom?

Melissa

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that password keeper!
I nominated you for the Liebster Award.
Visit my blog to learn more :)
Rachel
La SeƱorita Creativa

The TechKnowledgey Teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The TechKnowledgey Teacher said...

Aww thank you Rachel! It's been so fun getting started on blogging! I will definitely be passing on the love!

Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...