Image Map

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Why am I doing this?

As a teacher, my free time is usually spent grading papers, lesson plans, paperwork, etc. During the school year, who am I kidding the summer too, I spend a lot of my time at school or thinking about school. But I knew all of this would happen when I signed up. So why am I adding one more thing to my to-do list? I want to help teachers see how easy it is to incorporate the use of technology and still maintain a high level of learning and expectations.

When I was in elementary school I somehow managed to be placed in what my district called 21st Century Classrooms. These were teachers that had 5-6 computers in their classroom and one teacher computer plugged into a big screen TV (the original SmartBoard lol). These teachers used technology more in their lessons, had us do computer based projects, etc. I learned all of my quick keys, how to use Microsoft Office and Work proficiently, and could type without looking at my keys or typing with two fingers. But even with this, we still had a limited amount of technology to use or what to do with it.

How far we have come since then.

In my classroom alone I have a student and teacher computer, projector screen, Interwrite Tablet, WiFi and a speaker system. All of the teachers have access to two full computer labs, two mobile labs, and soon to arrive iPad lab (can't wait for this one!) This is the most technology I have ever had or seen in a classroom, and I am in heaven! I try to incorporate technology into a lot of my lessons in hopes to engage students and prepare them for an often times technology driven world. When I am competing against video games to hold the attention of an adolescent, ADHD middle schooler, I will try whatever might work if it means they are learning!

Here I am going to research, review, and analyze products I have used in the classroom. Pros, cons, what I would change, etc. If you have a product that you love, want to try, or have used but want to change, let me know and I would love to help!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...